Just What is The SoMMA Challenge??
The SoMMA CHALLENGE is simply a fun and interesting way of helping to motivate and inspire members to go forward creatively with resources they may never have thought of using.
The materials provided for each Challenge are actually tools or prompts to help get you in the creative mode, to help you with just a slight bit of nudging allowing your imagination, your intuition and your creative side to take over.
Challenges are fun and lighthearted, the possibilities are endless and the creativity flows in abundance.
THE CHALLENGES ARE FREE AND OPEN TO ALL PAID MEMBERS OF SoMMA.
- Each month participating members are provided with Challenge materials to take home to work on their creations, of which are to be turned in at the next consecutive SoMMA meeting.
- All submissions are on exhibit for the membership to view and subsequently vote on.
- The only caveat is that you must use all the Challenge materials provided in the Challenge creation. You may add whatever media and materials you like in addition to the provided materials, however if all pieces provided for the Challenge are not included in the work as well, the piece will be not be accepted.
- IMPORTANT: YOUR NAME MUST BE ON THE BACK OF YOUR ARTWORK
- CHALLENGE PIECES are to be TURNED IN NO LATER THAN 10:15.
- Announcement of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winning pieces will take place mid-way through the business meeting, giving the committee time to count, place, and announce.
The Challenge Voting Process
- Each SoMMA Member will be given a raffle ticket with which to vote for their favorite piece.
- The artwork submitted for judging are lined up with a cup near each piece
- The members are asked to place their raffle ticket into the cup next to the piece of artwork they like best. We ask that the submitting members not vote for themselves, but that is an integrity thingy.
- Tickets are counted and the piece with the most tickets takes First Place, Second Place and so on.
- The winners are announced by the Challenge Committee, Awards are presented and photos taken. Pix and names appear on the website and in the newsletter and FaceBook.
PAMELA FELDMAN AND EVELYN DAYTON C0-CHAIR and oversee the CHALLENGE COMMITTEE
If you would like to volunteer to help on their committee please contact Pamela at 904-770-9071
DONATIONS: All items and prizes for the Challenge are donated by members.
Currently, awards are being provided by Francesca. If anyone would like to donate items as possible prize awards, please contact Pamela. If you have any items in multiples that you would like to donate for use as a challenge, we would be most grateful. Anything from bobby pins, feathers, bottle caps, ribbon, cupcake papers, cypress knees, yada, yada.
Julie Garcia provided all the vintage knives that were used for the March Challenge, Pam Feldman provided the burlap bags and feathers for the January Challenge. We are always on the lookout for ‘stuff’, items, junque that can be used to whet your creative appetites.
Thank you! Francesca Tabor-Miolla